Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N is for Negatives


Nature
We all have negatives in our life, it’s what we do when confronted with them that really makes the difference as we move forward.

Three years ago I found myself in the hospital on two different occasions for a total of 5 ½ months. I am now wheelchair bound which puts quite a damper on things when you like to hike, camp, travel and enjoy the outdoors. A single father of three, I was determined to put a positive spin on my situation because I was worried my kids would feel obligated to stay home and take care of me. 

The two youngest just entered college in the last 2 years and needed to know they were free to enjoy life and prepare for their futures without constantly worrying about me. Thanks to God, Google Maps and the internet in general I’ve been able to adapt to my situation and turn my negative into a positive.

I’ve always believed there was a reason for everything. Surely God had a plan for me or this wouldn’t have happened. God knew a little more about me than I did myself so it took me a little time to figure it out.  I’ve never been one to let things or obstacles get in my way.  I never give up.  I always see good in everything and everyone.

Armed with my love of photography, painting and now maybe a little writing I’m on a new journey in life.  I’ve been doing a lot of research and am now starting to travel.  Recently I took an 800 mile train trip by myself with more trips planned for the future.  It’s my hope to start a web site to chronicle my journeys so others in my situation can explore and enjoy the places I plan on visiting.

My site and chronicles will not focus on the negatives of being wheelchair bound but the many wonderful places still accessible to us.  God has given us this wonderful gift called life and happiness is there for the taking if we just open our hearts.

I’m fortunate; I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, Pa.  The train system in our area is fabulous and quite a few of the stations are accessible to wheelchairs so that’s where I’ll be starting my new adventures.  That being said Iceland is in the back of my mind so who knows.

God Bless my friends Smile God Loves Us.

Rule #13 Negatives, turn them into a positive.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

You are an INSPIRATION and a beautiful writer and painter! :)

Awesome painting!

Laura Clipson said...

First of all, another beautiful painting :)
Second, I admire your positivity - every cloud has a silver lining, but a lot of people often can't see it. Glad you're living life to the full :)

liz young said...

I love the reflections in this painting.
I have this song running through my head but I can't think who it's by!
Accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Don't go for Mister Inbetween.
Don't know if I've got that exact, but it sums up your post. Enjoy the next train journey.

Anonymous said...

Yes, definitely an inspiring message. Thanks for sharing your dreams with us!

netablogs said...

What a positive post! All the best with your plans!