Saturday, April 27, 2013

X is for Xanadu

 
Thank you, thank you, thank you Electric Light Orchestra and Olivia Newton John, especially Jeff Lynne who wrote the song Xanadu.  I don’t know what I would have done without you.  This truly is a case of me drawing an idea from my past because I didn’t have a clue what to do for the letter X and then this song popped into my mind.

Xanadu is actually a real place in Mongolia.  The emperor had two summer palaces there during the Kublai Khan Dynasty.  I would’ve never known that one.  Samuel Taylor Coleridge also wrote a poem about Xanadu.  Who’d a thunk? (I know thunk isn’t a word but it’s the best I can come up with to describe my amazement there is more to Xanadu than I thought.

Rule #22 Sometimes it pays to draw ideas from your past.



4 comments:

liz young said...

TWO summer palaces? That's sheer greed!

Kern Windwraith said...

Well, it's good to know that song was good for something. :)

I love Coleridge's poem--still remember memorizing it in the 8th grade, lo these many years ago.

Cathrina Constantine said...

I always draw ideas from my past. Good word, good post.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Great picture, by the way, Beautiful!